Friday, October 1, 2010

Glutton for Punishment

A short reprieve from recalling my somewhat tumultuous September; this is what I've been doing.

I took off approximately one shawl length of wide purple-variegated merino warp in 2007 when I was invited to take part in "Culturally Routed" and had to get started right away. I wanted to weave something with a luxurious feel, so I decided to put this back on last week. Luckily I saved the cross. But after looking at it for a couple of days I thought it might be too short to get a proper shawl.

So I've been halving the width, taking each pair of warp, tying one end to the warp beam and threading the other in a straight draw. It's tedious beyond belief, but feels great, and I am hoping I will be ready to weave in a couple of days.

Come to think of it, I've the rest of the Big Ribbon warp saved in the interrupted warp drawer; from memory there is about eight meters left on that one.

4 comments:

  1. oh, those retired warps...just mistakes. hard to let go.

    been enjoying your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just decided after posting this post that one of the inherited warp chains is also going into the compost bin. It's great wool - so not my color. It'll do my plants some good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a new regular reader, I went and visited your Big Ribbon post -- what an amazing piece!!! I hope you're not composing THAT warp chain! If you are, I'll pay you to ship it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That warp has too much dye to compost, Peg. That'll probably be woven to make a similar something-or-rather, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. But do be sure to leave your real or blog name.