Monday, June 25, 2007

Creative Standstill

That's me at the Writer's Retreat, amidst a complete creative standstill. And I look exactly the way I felt.

I've been having slow but steady progress as regards weaving, if I don't worry too much about selling, in the last few weeks. In fact, I have three quite exciting prospects I've either begun to participate in, or have had proposed to me, so I should be happier. And I am, as regards weaving.

I'm a little sad, though, that I've had to put my first love, writing, on the back burner for the last seven years, and sadder that I've disappointed my long-time mentor Joan. I don't travel back and forth between my "word world" and "visual world" very well, so I've needed to stay in the "visual" to concentrate on weaving. And to be honest, I don't know if I'll ever give my writing a serious go, outside of the one weekend every year.

Think about it. Wouldn't we all rather have a nice, soft scarf, than a badly-written, smug book of my fiction?

2 comments:

  1. If I were your editor, I would suggest you write a non-fiction book about your adventures as a budding weaver-artist.
    Seriously, think about it. :-)
    You have at least this one book in you. And I am sure it would be only the beginning of a wonderful career as a writer for you.
    Trust me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merisi, that was another idea the group had for me, and something that's been in the back of my mind for a while, but the workshop tends to attract fiction-writers, and so I ended up writing fiction.

    Joan told me to do as my heart tells me, and I really wanted to work on writings about weaving aimed at non-weavers. However, we do these session where we pull out cards of inspirational sayings by authors and about writing, and the card I pulled on Friday night said something about surrendering myself to the surrounds and soaking in the atmosphere, or something like that, and so I wrote a story that took place near a deserted lake.

    It was good fun anyway, and in the end, very much in tune with the place I was, and the atmosphere of the Retreat. And I really felt like I went to a far away place. And in retrospect, I don't think I would have felt that way if I had continued to think about weaving and written about it.

    I don't know... it was good fun in any case.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. But do be sure to leave your real or blog name.